If you are a true “newbie” to cruising vacations, you may want to get familiar with some nautical terms. The placement of your temporary abode is as important as choosing the right ship. Locations to choose from include the interior (no window), ocean view, balcony, upper and lower decks, midship, aft (back of the ship), forward (front of the ship), starboard (when facing the front of the ship is the left side) and port (right side). With these things in mind, consider the following:
- Take a look at the deck plans to get familiar with the locations. Ideally, you want to make sure you aren’t near high-traffic areas with elevators, buffet restaurants, or children’s activity centers.
- If it’s a one-way trip, find out which side of the ship will be facing land and be sure to get the view you want.
- Suites in the front of the ship have great views, but you will feel more of the movement of the waves in that location especially on higher decks.
- Cabins in the back can have larger balconies, but you will feel more vibration from the mechanics of the ship.
- Suites with outside or balcony views at bargain prices might have obstructed views. Ask about the view.
It is common to get automatic cabin upgrades, so ask about promotions especially with Carnival, MSC, Holland America or Norwegian. Even if you’ve already booked, check two to three months before departure for reduced fairs and upgrades.
Another money saving tip:
Traveling as a group is a great way to save money. Dreamtrips.com and WorldVentures.com have perfected the bulk buying process. Contact an agent at WorldVentures.com to discover any cruise deals they can offer your party.
Share the research and assign an itinerary for each person at different ports of call. Meet up pre-cruise to share activity options or hand the entire process off to the Dreamtrips.com concierge service and let them build the excitement of your upcoming adventures.
The larger cruise ships can be like floating cities, so it’s easy to lose each other. Be sure to pre-arrange meeting points and times to keep in touch with members of the group.
Remember your phone will be on airplane mode to avoid roaming charges and Wifi is expensive due to the use of satellites for service.
Please leave a comment if this article was helpful or you are looking for more information.